Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Damages for domestic abuse

It is possible to obtain damages for any civil wrong committed against a person or a person's property. This is worthwhile pursuing only if the person claimed against has sufficient funds to pay.

To be successful the applicant will need to prove that there was a wrongful act towards her/him and that that act resulted in loss to her/him.

Whether someone will be entitled to Legal Aid, or whether they may be able to pursue such a claim without involving a solicitor, will depend on the level of damages and the type of action that will be required. Anyone with a potential claim should contact a solicitor who will be able to assess the likelihood of success and the amount of damages involved.

Any civil damages awarded for injuries will be deducted from compensation due under a criminal injuries application.

This content applies to Scotland

Last updated: 29 December 2014