Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Death in the household

This section tells you if you have a right to continue living in your home if someone you live with dies. Even if you have lived in your home for a long time, your rights will depend on a number of things, including if your home is rented or bought and if you are related to the person who died, and if you have signed any legal documents giving you a right to stay. It also points you in the direction of further support.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us