Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Taking legal action

This section looks at the different ways you can take legal action against your partner. Rather than leaving your home, you may choose to apply to the court to keep your partner away from your home instead. Domestic abuse is a crime, and you may also wish to report them to the police and seek compensation.

You can apply for more than one legal remedy at the same time (for example, you may wish to apply for an exclusion order to end your partner's rights to live in your home and an interdict to keep them away). Your solicitor will be able to advise you on this.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us