Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Rights if you rent your home and are splitting up

This section explains what to do if you rent your accommodation with your husband, wife, civil partner or partner and your relationship breaks down. It explains who has rights to stay in the family home, what you can do if your partner is trying to make you leave and what you can do if your partner moves out.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us