Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Advice for Students

All you need to know about housing when you're a student.

If you’re a student you might be living away from home for the first time, in university owned accommodation or renting a property from a private landlord or letting agent. It’s important that you understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, as well as those of your landlord, what kind of tenancy you have and how to fix any problems you might have.

Looking for a home

Whether you’re looking for halls or private rented accommodation it’s important to look for accommodation well in advance of your move-in date. The links below tell you all you need to know about looking for a place to live:

Living in your home

Hopefully once you’ve moved in and you’re getting settled and enjoying yourself, the time in the accommodation is trouble free. The links below tell you about what you should expect in your new home whether you're staying in halls or privately renting:

Issues & repairs

When you’re renting, your landlord will be responsible for major repairs, but there are some smaller ones that you, as tenant, are expected to be able to do. The links below tell you how best to deal with any problems that do happen:

Moving out & evictions

You will need to give notice to your landlord or letting agent when you want to move out. If your landlord needs to reclaim their property they will also have to give you notice of this, find out about the correct process below:

Other resources

Whether you’re a student or an accommodation officer, we have some further information and tools which you might find useful.