Death in the household

This section tells you if you have a right to continue living in your home if someone you live with dies. Even if you have lived in your home for a long time, your rights will depend on a number of things, including if your home is rented or bought and if you are related to the person who died, and if you have signed any legal documents giving you a right to stay. It also points you in the direction of further support.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

What to do if someone in your household dies at home

Get an idea of how a death in your household can affect you. It also points out what you need to ask to find out what your rights are.

What if I live in a rented house and someone dies?

If you rent and someone living with you has died so you are worried about if you can stay, you need to ask whose name is the lease in, and who is the landlord.

If the owner of your home dies

Check your rights if you and/or someone you live with owns your home and they die. This depends on several factors, like your relationship and if they have left a will.

Dealing with losing a parent

This page gives you an idea of your rights if you have lost one or both of your parents and how to deal with their deaths.

Bereavement help and advice

Losing someone close to you is a terrible experience to go through. This section points you in the direction of agencies who can help you.

Bereavement benefits

If your husband or wife has died in the last year, you may be entitled to some special benefits.

Last updated: 15 January 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England