Where to get help if you're experiencing domestic abuse

This page contains information on and links to organisations that can help women and men undergoing violence or abuse at home.

Help for women experiencing domestic abuse

Rape Crisis Scotland

Free, confidential information and support for girls and women who have undergone sexual abuse at any time in their lives. You can find details of your local centre at the Rape Crisis Scotland website.


Helpline: 08088 01 03 02.

SAY Women

SAY Women is a voluntary organisation which offers safe and secure accommodation for young women who are survivors of childhood sexual abuse, rape or sexual assault and who are homeless or threatened with homelessness.


Scotland's Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline

Free 24-hour helpline. Helpline workers can talk you through your options and put you in touch with local agencies that can help you. The SDAFM website offers support and information for people facing domestic abuse.

Tel: 0800 027 1234


Scottish Women's Aid

Women's Aid provides information, advice and support to women undergoing emotional and/or physical abuse. Women's Aid refuges, located across Scotland, offer a safe, supportive environment for women who wish to leave abusive partners, and also for their children.


Help for black and minority ethnic women

Hemat Gryffe Women's Aid

Hemat Gryffe Women's Aid provides support and practical help to Asian, black and ethnic minority women who have suffered mental and physical harassment and abuse either from their partner, ex-partner or within their extended family. Services include a drop-in centre and refuge.


Muslim Women's Helpline

The Muslim Women's Helpline aims to provide any Muslim girl or woman in a crisis with a free, confidential listening service and referral to Islamic consultants, plus practical help and information where required.


Shakti Women's Aid

This service run by black women offers advice, information, counselling, support and temporary accommodation for black and minority ethnic women and their children escaping domestic violence. Workers can provide information on housing, benefits, legal issues, immigration, nationality, racial harassment and health. Languages spoken include Arabic, Gujarati, Hindi, Punjabi, Singhalese, Swahili and Urdu.


Help for women with no recourse to public funds

The Scottish Women's Rights Centre

You may need specialist immigration advice if you are a victim of domestic abuse. The Scottish Women's Right Centre provide support for all women aged 16 and over who have been affected by violence and abuse in Scotland. All their services are free and confidential. See the website for detail of their free helpline and opening times.


Help for men experiencing domestic abuse

Survivors UK

Survivors UK provides support and resources for men who have been sexually abused or raped or experienced any form of sexual violence.


Respect- Men's Advice Line

The Men's Advice Line is a freephone, confidential helpline for men who have experienced or are experiencing domestic violence from their partners or ex-partners. This includes all men - in heterosexual  or same-sex relationships.


Abused Men in Scotland

Provide a number of support services which are available to any man experiencing domestic abuse within Scotland. They work nationally to ensure that as much support as possible is given to men experiencing domestic abuse.


Help for LGBT people experiencing domestic abuse

National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline

Support services and advice for lesbian, bisexual, gay and transexual people experiencing domestic abuse.


Help for perpetrators of domestic violence

Everyman Project

Counselling project that helps men who are being abusive towards their partners to learn to control their behaviour.


Help for young people


Free, confidential helpline offering practical advice and support to children and young people.

Tel: 0800 1111


The Hideout

Information for children and young people affected by domestic abuse.


Other useful websites

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)

Information on applying for compensation if you have been injured as a result of violent crime.


Family Law Association Scotland

The Family Law Association website has contact details for solicitors who specialise in family law, and also have further information on family law issues.


Relationships Scotland

Relationship counselling, family mediation, child contact centres and other forms of family support across mainland and island Scotland.


One Parent Families Scotland

National voluntary organisation offering advice and support for lone parents and their families. National Lone Parent Helpline: 0800 018 5026www.opfs.org.uk

Police Scotland

Find out more about how the police in your area tackle domestic violence and get contact details of your nearest police station.



If you are going through a hard time or feel depressed, desperate or suicidal and need someone to talk to anonymously, you can call the Samaritans free and in confidence.

Lines are open and free to call 24 hours a day.

Tel: 116 123


Email: jo@samaritans.org


SupportLine is a confidential telephone helpline offering emotional support to children, young people and adults. SupportLine can take calls on a wide range of issues including relationships, child abuse, anger, bullying, self harm, domestic violence, rape and sexual assault.

Tel: 020 8554 9004


Survivor Scotland

The Survivor Scotland website contains links to help and advice for people who are experiencing or have experienced sexual abuse in their childhood. The site links to agencies offering support, counselling and other forms of help.


Victims of Crime in Scotland

Scottish Government website offering help and advice for anyone affected by crime. It contains information on reporting crime, police procedures and victim support.


Victim Support Scotland

Voluntary organisation offering practical help and information and emotional support to victims of crime.

Helpline: 0800 160 1985


If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 15 March 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England