Young LGBTQ+ people: homeless housing rights

If you’re lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) and you’re homeless or thinking of leaving home then this page explains your housing options and what you can do.

Can the council help me?

If you're LGBT and homeless because your parents have thrown you out or because you are scared of violence, abuse or harassment, you can get help from your local council. You don't have to be sleeping on the street to get help and if you are staying with a friend or in a hostel, you are still legally homeless.

What help can the council give me?

The council will look into your situation to see what kind of help it should offer you. This may be:

  • help to find a new place to live

  • an offer of a permanent home.

Where will I stay?

The council should offer you somewhere temporary to stay while it looks into your situation. If the council doesn't offer you temporary accommodation or if you feel don't feel safe in the accommodation provided, go and see an adviser at a Shelter advice centre, Citizens Advice or local LGBT agency (see 'support and advice' below). An adviser may be able to arrange for you to stay somewhere more suitable.

What if the council won't help me?

Find out more about help from the council and what you can do if the council won't help you.

What are my rights?

Discrimination and LGBT

Councils, housing associations and landlords cannot discriminate against you because you're LGBT. If you think this is happening, you may be able to take action. Read the page on how to deal with housing discrimination to find out how.

Harassment and LGBT

Nor should your landlord or anyone else in your neighbourhood harass you or make your life miserable because you're LGBT. Harassment is a criminal offence, and you can report your landlord to the police if this happens. You may not need to go into the police station to do this. You can find out more about what to do if your landlord or anyone else is harassing you here.

Rights as a same sex couple

  • If you are both over sixteen, you and your partner can get married or register a civil partnership. This gives you similar rights to a married couple.

  • Councils, housing associations and landlords cannot treat same-sex couples differently from opposite-sex couples - this is discrimination (see above).

  • Same-sex couples should be treated in the same way as opposite-sex couples when applying to the council as homeless.

  • When it comes to benefits, same-sex couples will have the same rights as opposite-sex couples. This means you will now have to claim as a couple instead of claiming separately. If you are already getting benefits, you should notify your local DWP office and your housing and council tax benefit department that you are living together. Read more about other benefits in the section on paying for a home.

Support and advice

  • The LGBT Youth has advice and information on a range of topics for young LGBT people.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Last updated: 26 May 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England