Mortgage arrears

If you fall behind with your mortgage payments you could risk losing your home. This section has advice on what you can do if you are having problems paying your mortgage.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Dealing with mortgage arrears

Information and advice to help you deal with mortgage arrears.

Reducing your mortgage payments

Having problems paying your mortgage, then there are plenty of ways to reduce your payments, find out more here.

Renting out your home

If paying your mortgage is difficult, you may be able to rent out a room, or move out and let your whole home.You need permission from your lender and understand your responsibilities to your tenants.

Help with mortgage interest payments

Support for mortgage interest payments is now paid as loan.

Mortgage arrears for joint mortgages

If you have a joint mortgage, you are all equally liable for keeping up the repayments, even if someone moves out. The lender can pursue any one of you for the money if someone fails to pay.

Selling your home voluntarily

You may decide to sell your home if you're struggling with mortgage repayments. Find out what your options are.

Voluntary surrender of property

Voluntary repossession or voluntary surrender of your home should only ever be a last resort so check what options you have.

Debt arrangement scheme if you have mortgage arrears

If you have mortgage arrears and other debts, for example, credit card debt, you may be able to get help under the debt arrangement scheme. This can give you time to pay off debts at an affordable rate.

Sale and rent back schemes

Mortgage rescue schemes can allow you to keep living in your home as a tenant if you can't pay your mortgage. Schemes vary - they can help you stay in your home, but might increase your debts.

The Scottish Government's Mortgage to rent scheme

If you are at risk of repossession, a mortgage to rent scheme could allow you to remain in your home as a tenant. This page explains how mortgage to rent schemes work and who is eligible to apply.

Mortgage to shared equity

If you can't afford your mortgage and have 25 per cent equity you might reduce your secured debt but keep a stake in your home.This is called the Mortgage to Shared Equity scheme.


If you have debts, your lender may be able to take out an inhibition, which will stop you from selling or transferring ownership of your home or taking out any further secured loans on your home.

Mortgage arrears charges

If you've ever had mortgage arrears, your lender may have charged you 'arrears fees'. You may be able to get your money refunded for free. The fees may have been called penalties or 'unfair' charges.

Last updated: 9 March 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England