Mortgage complaints

If you think you have been treated unfairly by a mortgage broker or lender, you may want to make a complaint.

If you have problems getting a mortgage and are turned down, you can ask for full details of why this was and make sure the reasons are correct. If you feel that a broker or lender has treated you unfairly, you can take the following steps.

Complaining to the lender or broker you used

If you're not satisfied with the advice or service you have received from a lender or broker, you should first discuss it with the lender or broker concerned.

Financial Conduct Authority rules state that the lender should acknowledge receipt of your complaint within five business days. If they cannot make a decision on your complaint within one month, they must keep you informed.

Complaining to the Financial Ombudsman Service

If you are unhappy with the response from your lender, you can take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This service is free and impartial.

Dealing with discrimination

If you think you have been discriminated against in your mortgage application, you might have a case under anti-discrimination law. You can take action if you feel you have been discriminated against because:

  • of your age

  • of your gender

  • you are a disabled person

  • you are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT)

  • of your race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origins

  • of your religion or beliefs.

For example, if you're a couple applying for a joint mortgage and the woman earns more than the man, it would be sex discrimination for the lender to use the man's income as the higher one in working out how much they will lend you. Or, if a mortgage lender asks a gay man more questions about their health than a heterosexual man would be expected to answer, this would be discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.

Find out more about how to tackle discrimination.

Complaining about mortgage arrears charges

If you have ever built up mortgage arrears, it's probable that your lender has charged you arrears fees. If these fees are a penalty or 'unfair' charge, you may be able to get your money refunded for free. Our page on mortgage arrears charges has more information.

Reclaiming mortgage fees

If you've switched mortgages or paid off your mortgage early, it's likely that your lender charged you a fee. If your lender overcharged you, it's now possible to get this money back. The Money Saving Expert website has a step-by-step guide to reclaiming mortgage fees.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England