Letter template: ask environmental health to force your landlord do repairs

If repair problems are making your home unsafe, and your landlord refuses to do the repairs, you can contact environmental health.

Copy and paste this sample text and personalise it with your details.

Include photographs of the repair problem and copies of any emails or letters you have sent your landlord.

Subject: My home is unsafe

To the environmental health team,

My rented home at <your address> has the following repair problems: <the repair problems in your home>.

I reported the repairs to my landlord on <date>. I gave them reasonable time to do the repairs, but they have still not been done.

This is a serious situation because <give details of how it's affecting your or your family's health or safety>.

I have attached evidence of the repair problem, copies of communication with my landlord and <other evidence, for example: a letter from my GP / a dampness survey>.

My landlord is <your landlord’s name and address>.

I'm asking for your assistance to get my landlord to do repairs in my home. Please contact me to discuss any next steps.

Thank you

<your name>
<your phone number>

You can also send the letter as an email attachment or through the post:

Finding contact details

Send the letter or email to the council's environmental health team. Search for your local council on mygov.scot.

If you rent from a private landlord, their contact details should be in your tenancy agreement or on the Scottish landlord register.

If you rent from the council or a housing association, check their website or your tenancy agreement for their contact details.

If you need more help

Check our advice on:

You can make a complaint if you're unhappy with environmental health's response to your letter. Follow our guidance on making a complaint to the council.

Last updated: 30 July 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England