Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Letter template: make a complaint about repairs to your private landlord

If your private landlord or letting agent is not doing repairs, send them an email or letter to complain. Tell them you'll apply to the tribunal if repairs are not done.

Copy and paste this sample text and personalise it with your details. Delete any parts that do not apply to you.

Attach any evidence you have, such as copies of previous letters you've sent or photos of the repair problems.

Subject: Repairs not done at <your address>

To <your landlord's name>

I contacted you on <date> to ask for repair work at <your address>.

The repairs needed are <describe the repairs>. These repairs have still not been done.

I have checked my rights on the Shelter Scotland website. You have a duty to make sure my home meets the repairing standard in section 13 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006. Currently my home does not meet this standard, and you must do the repairs within a reasonable time.

I believe it's reasonable for the repair work to be done within <number of days> because of the effect it's having on me.

<Give details, for example: it's causing damage to my home / affecting my health / making my home unsafe>

Please contact me within 2 working days to confirm when the repairs will be done.

If you do not arrange for the repairs to be done, I will apply to the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber) for an enforcement order.

Thank you,

<your name>
<your phone number>

You can also send the letter as an email attachment or through the post:

Where to send your letter or email

Your landlord's contact details should be in your tenancy agreement or on the Scottish landlord register.

If you rent from a letting agency, you can send the complaint to them or ask them for your landlord's contact details. They must give you this within 21 days.

If you need more help

Check our advice on applying to the tribunal if your landlord refuses to do repairs.

Last updated: 27 July 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England