How long repairs should take in council and housing association homes

If you rent from the council or a housing association, you have the right to get certain repairs fixed within a set timeframe. This is called the Right to Repair scheme.

Some repairs have set timeframes

Small, urgent repairs up to £350 qualify, including unsafe electrical fittings, loss of gas supply and blocked sinks.

Repair times under the scheme vary between 1 and 7 working days, depending on the type of repair. If repairs are not fixed in time, you could get compensation.

The Scottish government has more information on the Right to Repair scheme.

When you report your repair, your landlord will confirm if it qualifies to be fixed under the Right to Repair scheme.

Follow our guidance on how to report a repair.

Check how long your repair should take

Use our repair checker tool to find out:

  • the timeframe for a repair to be fixed

  • if a repair is your landlord’s responsibility

  • what to do if it’s not fixed on time

  • your rights as a tenant and if you can get compensation

Last updated: 29 June 2022

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England