Enforcing repairs

If the council identifies properties which are not being looked after or are lowering the appeal of an area, it can take steps to make sure the owners bring the properties back into a reasonable state of repair. This section looks at the various ways in which the council can do this.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Council Maintenance orders

If the council believes that your home is not, or is unlikely to be, kept in reasonable condition, you may be sent a maintenance order, requiring you to draw up a property maintenance plan for up to five years.

Housing renewal areas

If a council decides houses are substandard, or any house affects the area's appeal, it can declare it a 'housing renewal area'. It must then consult on a plan to improve the area with owners.

Work and demolition notices

If your home is falling into, or is already in, disrepair, the council can send you a work notice ordering you to carry out the necessary work to bring it back up to a reasonable standard.

Demolition and closing orders

If your home is substandard, the council can issue you with a demolition order. If your home is part of a building, it can send you a closing order. What you can do if you're sent one of these orders.

Dangerous and Defective Building Notices

If your home needs repair done to prevent deterioration or to remove a danger, the council can require you to do something about it - a defective building notice or dangerous building notice.

Abatement Orders

The council's environmental health department can order owners to fix any disrepair that is causing a health hazard or 'nuisance', by serving an abatement order.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England