Repairs if you rent from the council, a housing association or housing co-op

Find out your rights if you are a council, housing association or housing cooperative tenant and your home needs repairs. This section also explains who has responsibility for different types of repairs, and what you can do if your landlord doesn't carry out repairs they are responsible for.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Which repairs are landlords or tenants responsible for?

This page explains who is responsible for repairs in council and housing association tenancies.

Right to Repair Scheme in Council Housing

What you need to do if you rent from the council or a housing association or cooperative and your home needs repair work done. The right to repair scheme covers repairs that cost £350 or less.

Landlord refusal to repair in reasonable time

Most councils and housing associations will carry out repairs as soon as they know about them. However, if your landlord refuses to carry out the repairs, there are several things you can do.

Rent abatement while the council is doing repairs

This page looks at problems which may arise while repairs are being carried out, including what you can do if the repairs are disruptive such as withholding rent, claiming rent reduction or compensation.

Who can I report my landlord to if repairs are not done properly?

Your landlord should make sure that repair work is done properly. If repairs aren't done correctly, or it causes damage to your belongings you may be able to complain and claim compensation. Find out who you can report your landlord to and more information here

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England