Taking Legal Action Against Your Landlord for Repairs

If your landlord refuses to carry out essential repairs, it may be possible to take them to the sheriff court or the First Tier tribunal Housing and Property Chamber. This section explains who should consider raising action, and how the court or tribunal action may help.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Before taking legal action over repairs

Before taking your landlord to court over repairs, make sure you have exhausted every other possibility.

Repairs actions at the First Tier Tribunal Housing and Property Chamber

The First Tier Tribunal Housing and Property Chamber can help private tenants tackle disrepair. Private rented homes must meet with the Repairing Standard.

Using the courts to force your landlord to carry out repairs or claiming compensation for housing disrepair

If your landlord won't do repairs or has started but not finished, you may be able to raise a claim in court. There is a kind of claim for when you want them to do something they are obliged to do.

Court action if disrepair is damaging your health

If disrepair in your home is damaging your health or the health of your household, you can apply to the sheriff court for an abatement order. If the order is granted, your landlord has to put the problem right.

Compensation claims for disrepair against landlord

If your landlord has failed to carry out essential repairs to your home within a reasonable time, you may be entitled to claim compensation.  

Last updated: 15 October 2020

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England