Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Who can I report my landlord to if repairs are not done properly?

Your landlord should make sure that repair work is carried out properly. If repairs aren't carried out properly, or the work causes damage to your belongings you may be able to complain and claim compensation.

When are repairs not carried out properly?

The repairs may not be done properly because:

  • the standard of the work is poor
  • the work has been delayed
  • the work hasn't been finished
  • the work has caused other repair problems
  • the work has damaged internal decorations or personal belongings.

What can I do?

When your landlord arranges for repairs to be carried out, they are responsible for the quality of the work, and for any damage the work may cause. This means they are responsible for repairing any damaged plaster or wall coverings, repainting if necessary and replacing any spoilt items such as carpets. This also means compensating you for any loss or damage to your belongings.

Who can I report my landlord to?

The council, housing association or housing cooperative should have a complaints procedure you can follow if you're not happy with the standard of the repairs. This should be explained in your tenants' handbook, and may also be outlined on your council's website. If your landlord refuses to make good the repairs, you may be able to take court action against them.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us