Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Looking for a Home

The where, what and how of looking for a private rented home in Scotland.

The new private residential tenancy

Any tenancy that started on or after 1 December 2017 will be a private residential tenancy. This new tenancy will replace the assured and short assured tenancy. For more information about the private residential tenancy check the section all about tenancy agreements.

Where to look

Is the landlord registered

You should always check that the landlord is registered with the local council. Most private landlords should be registered or have applied to register with the council. Landlords alsohave to include their registration number in the property advert.

The right to rent

From 1 February 2016 landlords who have rental properties in England and Wales will have to check that tenants or lodgers can legally rent their property. These regulations only apply to properties in England and Wales, and will not apply to tenants or lodgers who rent property in Scotland.

Energy Performance Certificates

Any landlord who puts a property up for rent must obtain a energy performance certificate giving the property an energy rating and must show it to you free of charge.

Also, in any advert for the property the landlord will need to state the EPC rating.

epg rating

Viewing a property

Remember, when you go to view a flats to, always follow these safety guidelines:

  • Don't go on your own. Always take someone with you when you visit a flat.
  • Always let other people know where you're going, who you're meeting and when you should be back.
  • Arrange to call someone afterwards to let them know you're safe.


One you've found a property the landlord or letting agent can ask you to pay a deposit, but they cannot ask you to pay any other charges, such as fees for credit checking, administrative work or anything else. These charges are premiums and are unlawful; you should challenge letting agents if they ask you to pay any extra fees.

If you have been charged additional fees, then you can claim them back via the first tier tribunal .

Making an inventory

Once you've moved in, you should make an inventory. An inventory is a list of the contents of a property. Having an inventory is important if you want to get your deposit back.

This video explains:

How do I get an inventory?

  • Your landlord or letting agent should supply you with an inventory form. If they haven't done so by the time you move in, ask for one.
  • If you aren't given an inventory, you can make one yourself and get an independent witness who doesn't live in the property to sign it. You can download an inventory form. You could also take photos of the property when you move in.

Check our main site more information and help on Finding a place to live.