Caring for someone at home

This section contains information for carers who are looking after a family member, partner or friend. Caring for someone at home can be rewarding, but it can also be frustrating, isolating and exhausting. However, there is help available. This section looks at how to get help from social work, benefits you may be able to claim and other organisations that can offer you help and support. It also has advice for young carers and the parents of disabled children.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Being a carer

This page looks at what it means to be a carer, and explains where you can get help and support: from social work, from your GP's surgery or from carers' centres and other voluntary organisations.

Live in Carers Housing Rights

What to consider if you're moving in with the person you care for, or if they move in with you. What are your housing rights as a live in carer and what you can do if neither of your homes is suitable for you both to live in.

Getting a break

It's important to find time for yourself, especially if the person you care for needs you constantly.

Carer's assessments

If you care for a partner, friend or relative, you can get a carer's assessment from the social work department to see if anything would make your caring role easier.

Young carers allowance and other help

Many young people look after a parent or another relative who is ill or disabled. Check what help and support is available.

Caring for a disabled child with special needs

Find out about issues affecting people who care for children with disabilities, including help from social work and other sources, contacting other parents, and getting financial support.

Carers Allowance and other financial issues for carers

Covers financial issues that affect carers and the support available, including carer's allowance and other benefits, council tax reductions, and ways to combine your work and caring responsibilities.

Making financial or welfare decisions for the person you care for

The person you look after may have someone to look after their financial and welfare rights when become too ill to do so. A power of attorney makes this possible.

What if the person I look after dies?

How to cope if the person you care for dies. Includes dealing with practical issues that may arise. It also looks at your housing rights.

Useful links for carers

This page lists useful websites that provide further information, advice and support to carers.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England