Rights if you or your partner own your home

This section explains what to do if you and/or your husband, wife, civil partner or partner own your home and your relationship breaks down. It looks at who has rights to stay in the home, what happens if you or your partner wants to sell the home and who is responsible for the mortgage.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Occupancy rights if you or your partner own your home

This page explains your rights when you split up from your wife, husband or partner and one of you owns the property.

Selling the family home

If you and your partner split up, you might want to sell your home. Your rights to sell or receive a share depend on your relationship and who owns the home.

Staying in the family home in the short term

Explains if your partner can evict you if your relationship breaks down. Helps you check if you have the right to return home and short term solutions.

Staying in the family home in the long term

Your options if you and your ex-partner decide not to sell the family home and need to decide who will stay.

Paying the mortgage

If your partner moves out, you'll need to consider how to pay your mortgage. How you may be able to get help to pay and alternative options.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England