Challenging a council's homelessness decision

If you disagree with the council's decision on your homeless application, it may be possible to challenge and overturn it. For example, you will be able to appeal if the council has judged you as intentionally homeless.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Reviewing a council's homelessness decision

If the council has made the wrong decision about your homeless application, you can normally ask them to review it. You can usually stay in your temporary accommodation while the review is carried out.

Complaining to the Ombudsman

If you think the council didn't follow the correct procedure or acted unfairly when it assessed your homeless application, you may be able to complain to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman.

Taking the council to court

In some cases, you may be able to take the council to court over their decision. This is called a judicial review. You may be able to get accommodation from the council while the judicial review procedure is carried out.

Last updated: 9 June 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Get homeless help from the council

The council must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Apply to the council as homeless