Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Letter template: make a complaint about repairs to your council or housing association

If you rent from the council or housing association and they're not doing repairs, make a written complaint.

Copy and paste this sample text and personalise it with your details.

Attach any evidence of the problem, such as copies of previous letters you've sent or photos of the repair problem.

Subject: Complaint about repairs at <your address>

To <your landlord's name>

I contacted you on <date> to ask for repair work at <your address>.

The repairs needed are <describe the repairs>. These repairs have still not been done.

I have checked Shelter Scotland’s website, and it's your responsibility to carry out these repairs.

I'm concerned because <example: it's causing damage to my home / affecting my health / making my home unsafe>.

I ask that the repairs be completed within <number of days>.

Please respond in writing within 5 working days and tell me what you'll do to fix the problem.

Thank you,

<your name>
<your phone number>

You can also send the letter as an email attachment or through the post:

Where to send your letter or email

Check the council or housing association's website or your tenancy agreement for their contact details.

How long repairs should take

Some repairs must be done within a set time, and you could get compensation if they take too long. This is called the Right to Repair scheme.

If your repair is not covered by Right to Repair, it should be done in a reasonable amount of time.

Check how long repairs should take

If you need more help

Check our guidance on making the council or housing association do repairs.

Last updated: 27 July 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England