Repairs and responsibilities if you rent from a private landlord or letting agent

Find out which types of repairs private landlords are responsible for and which are the tenant's responsibility. Your landlord must keep your home up to a level of repair known as the 'repairing standard'.

Who Fixes What? A guide to repairs

Now and again, our homes need a bit of maintenance. But when it comes to repairs, when does a private tenant need to hand over the responsibility to their landlord? Find out in this handy guide, and avoid any more confusion!

My landlord's responsibilities

In general, your landlord is responsible for repairs to the property and to any items they provide you. As a tenant, you are responsible for any damage and disrepair you cause. Your tenancy agreement should say who is responsible for what.

Your landlord cannot get out of their responsibilities by adding a clause into the tenancy agreement that says they do not need to carry out repairs, or that you will have to pay for any repairs that need done. These are unfair terms, and will not be legally binding. The website has more information about unfair terms.

Likewise, if your tenancy agreement does not mention repairs, you will still have legal rights to get certain repairs done.

My letting agent’s responsibilities

If your property is managed by a letting agent, then they may have some responsibility for repairs. When you tell your letting agent about repairs they should:

  • carry out the repairs themselves, or

  • tell the landlord so the landlord can do the repairs

Letting agents must follow the letting agent code of practice. This says what a letting agent must do when you tell them about repairs needing done in your home.

Find out more about getting your letting agent to do repairs.

The repairing standard

Your landlord must make sure your home reaches a standard level of repair called the 'repairing standard'.

To meet the repairing standard:

  • the property must be wind and watertight

  • the property must be fit for you to live in, meeting the 'tolerable standard'

  • the structure and exterior of the property (for example, the walls and roof) must be in a reasonable condition

  • the installations for the supply of water, gas, electricity, and for sanitation, space heating and heating water must be in a reasonable state of repair and in proper working order (these include external installations such as drains)

  • any fixtures, fittings or appliances provided by the landlord (such as carpets, light fittings, white goods and household equipment) must be in a reasonable state of repair and in proper working order

  • any furnishings provided by the landlord must be capable of being used safely for the purpose for which they are designed

  • the property must have suitable smoke/fire alarms

  • the property must have suitable carbon monoxide alarms

If your home does not reach this standard and your landlord refuses to carry out the necessary work, you can get a repairing order from the First Tier Tribunal Housing and Property Chamber.

If you're moving into a new home, your landlord must make sure that the property meets this standard before you move in. If it does not, and they need to carry out repair work to bring it up to this standard, they must let you know about this before your tenancy starts.

The tolerable standard

Your home must also meet a basic level of repair called the 'tolerable standard' if it's to be fit for you to live in. Your home may not be fit to live in if:

  • it has problems with rising or penetrating damp

  • it's not structurally stable (for example, it might be subsiding)

  • it does not have enough ventilation, natural and artificial light or heating

  • it's not insulated well enough

  • it does not have an acceptable fresh water supply or a sink with hot and cold water

  • it does not have an indoor toilet, a fixed bath or shower and a washbasin with hot and cold water

  • it does not have a good drainage and sewerage system

  • the electric supply does not meet safety regulations

  • it does not have a proper entrance

  • there are no cooking facilities – this does not mean the landlord has to provide a cooker, but there must be somewhere suitable for you to install your own

Structure and exterior

Your landlord must make sure that the property is wind and watertight when you move in, and that it continues to be so while you're living there. This means that they are responsible for repairing damage to any part of the structure which might let in wind or rain, including:

  • the roof

  • chimneys

  • gutters and external pipes

  • walls (such as brick and plasterwork)

  • windows and doors

  • drains.

The property should also be adequately insulated, so that you can keep your home warm without running up unreasonably large heating bills. As a guide, you shouldn't have to spend more than 10% of your family income on heating. With a good heating system, you should spend much less than this.

Your landlord must provide you with an energy report, which gives the property an energy efficiency rating. The higher the rating, the more energy efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.


If dampness in your home is caused by a structural defect (such as a lack of damp-proof course, poor ventilation, an inadequate heating system or a hole in the roof) your landlord will probably be responsible for putting this right. You may need to show that the dampness is affecting your health in order to force your landlord to do any work.

It's also up to your landlord to ensure that the property has a heating system that will enable you to keep your home free of damp and condensation without running up huge gas or electricity bills.

However, dampness can also be caused by condensation produced by drying clothes indoors or the heating system not being used effectively, in which case your landlord may claim this is your fault.

Pipes, drains, gas, electricity and heating

Your landlord should also be responsible for fixing installations, such as:

  • appliances for space heating (for example, a central heating system or gas fire) or heating water (for example, a boiler)

  • water and gas pipes

  • flues and ventilation

  • electrical wiring

  • basins, sinks, toilets and baths.

Remember, it's up to you to take care of the installations. For example, your landlord may want you to empty the water tank and turn off the water in winter if you are going away, to prevent the pipes from freezing and bursting.

Common areas and gardens

Repairs to areas that are shared with other people, such as hallways, stairs, or lifts, are the responsibility of the landlord. They must ensure that common areas can be used and are safe. If there are other flats in the building that your landlord doesn't own, the responsibility for common areas may be shared by your landlord with other owners.

Your tenancy agreement should say who has responsibility for the upkeep of your garden. It is often the tenant's responsibility, although this doesn't mean that you will have to improve the garden if it is in a mess. If you don't have a tenancy agreement or your tenancy agreement doesn't mention the garden, your landlord is likely to be responsible unless you agree otherwise.

Furniture and equipment

Landlords must carry out an inspection of all installations, fixtures and fittings in a property. Landlords also have to give a copy of the most recent inspection report to the tenant before the tenancy begins.

After the initial inspection, any property that is rented out will have to have a further inspection carried out at least once every five years.

Any furniture your landlord supplies should be fire resistant, see the page on fire safety for more information. Your landlord is also responsible for the safety of any gas appliances provided.

Remember, your landlord is not responsible for repairing anything that belongs to you. The page on furniture and equipment has more information.

Internal decorations

Tenants are usually responsible for minor repairs to the internal decorations. This applies unless the disrepair is:

  • caused by disrepair or dampness that is the landlord's responsibility

  • due to normal wear and tear

  • caused by repair work your landlord has carried out.

Check your tenancy agreement to see who is responsible for decorating the home and maintaining the internal decoration. If you want to redecorate check your tenancy agreement first - you normally need your landlord's agreement, and you may not be able to do exactly what you want. You should not have to redecorate before you leave unless your tenancy agreement says so, or you have damaged the decoration.

What is my landlord not responsible for?

Your landlord is not required to fix any damage caused by:

  • you or a member of your household

  • an 'act of God' such as freak storms or flooding

  • a third party, for example if your home is vandalised.

This doesn't mean that repairs won't get carried out in these situations. For example, your landlord should be insured against damage caused by storms or burglars, so may well decide to do the repair work anyway.

What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

You have three main areas of responsibility:

Take good care of the property

You need to look after the property and avoid causing any damage wherever possible. This involves:

  • cleanliness - your home should be kept reasonably clean

  • keeping furniture provided in good condition - allowing for normal wear and tear

  • carrying out minor maintenance - for example, checking smoke alarm batteries and changing light bulbs

  • keeping your home reasonably well heated - particularly in winter so that you don't let the pipes freeze up and burst

If you cause any damage to the property or the furniture, either accidentally or on purpose, your landlord is entitled to make you pay for the damage, even if it is their responsibility to fix it. In some cases, your landlord may ask you to carry out the repair work yourself. If you have contents insurance, it may cover the cost.

Report repairs as soon as possible

You are responsible for letting your landlord know about any repair work that needs done. Your landlord can't be responsible for putting right problems they don't know exist. If you notice anything wrong with the property, for example, a damp patch on the wall or a crack in the ceiling, it's important you report the problem to your landlord as soon as possible, even if you're not that bothered about getting it fixed. Don't wait until the problem has become really bad - this could end up costing your landlord more to put right, and they may claim the extra money as a deduction from your deposit.

See the page on getting repairs carried out for more information.

Landlord access

Your landlord should give you notice before coming round. This is:

  • 24 hours if you are an assured or short assured tenant or 

  • 48 hours if you have a private residential tenancy.

You can refuse your landlord access to the property if the time they want to come round is unsuitable. However, if they are coming round to fix repairs it might be best to let them in to complete the repairs.

Your landlord can apply to the First-tier Tribunal Housing and Property Chamber if you cannot agree on a suitable time. The tribunal can then decide whether to assist the landlord in arranging a suitable time for access to the property.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 2 August 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England