Skip to main content

Useful links for Gypsies/Travellers

This page contains links to information for Gypsies/Travellers provided by councils across Scotland, and also lists other useful agencies.

Help and advice

Citizens Advice (CAB)

There are Citizens Advice offices all over the UK - you can find your nearest Citizens Advice at the Advice Guide website. Advisers can offer advice and information on a range of issues, including benefits, eviction and harassment, and can also help you access legal advice.

Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)

The EHRC works to protect and promote the rights of people who may be discriminated against, and can provide help and advice to people who have been discriminated against.

Ethnic Minorities Law Service

The Ethnic Minorities Law Service offers legal advice on discrimination and harassment to Gypsies/Travellers based in Glasgow, North and South Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire and East Renfrewshire, East and West Dumbartonshire, North East and South Ayrshire and Edinburgh.

Friends, Families and Travellers (FFT)

FFT works towards a more equitable society where everyone has the right to travel and to stop without fear of persecution because of their lifestyle. The organisation provides advice, information and other services to Gypsies/Travellers across the UK.

Local council information

You can find out more about the services provided for Gypsies/Travellers and policies concerning unauthorised sites of councils in Scotland on our council sites page.

Community sites

Journey Folki

This website has lots of information on Gypsy/Traveller culture, history and language as well as discussion forums and links to further resources.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.

The fight isn't over - support us this summer

far from fixed campaign logo
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today. Join our campaign
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today.
Find out more about volunteering with Shelter Scotland
Volunteer with Shelter Scotland
Have you had a bad housing experience? Tell us about your story.
Share your story of a bad housing experience