Skip to main content

Overview of moving if you're a council or housing association tenant

This page contains general information about the different schemes on offer to council and housing association tenants who need to move home.

What options are open to me?

If you are a council or housing association tenant and you need to move home, you may be able to apply for:

  • a transfer within your council's area
  • a move to a new area anywhere in the UK
  • a mutual exchange anywhere in the UK.

If you are a housing association tenant, check with your landlord that you do have the right to transfer before applying. If you rent from a housing association that is not registered with the Scottish Housing Regulator you will not have the right to transfer or exchange your home with other Scottish secure tenants.

Can I apply for all these schemes at the same time?

Yes. Provided you are eligible, it's a good idea to apply for all these schemes, as this will increase your chances of getting a new home.

What are my chances of getting a new home?

You may have to wait a while before you find or are offered a suitable property, and there is no guarantee that you will be able to get a new home through these schemes. However, every year, thousands of people move home through transfers and exchanges, so don't give up too easily.

What other options are open to me?

If you need to move urgently, you may also wish to consider:

Can I get help with moving costs?

Moving home can be expensive. If you are on a low income, you may be able to get financial help from the social fund to help with the cost of moving or to buy essential furniture or white goods for your new home. Go to the page on moving costs to find out more.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.

The fight isn't over - support us this summer

far from fixed campaign logo
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today. Join our campaign
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today.
Find out more about volunteering with Shelter Scotland
Volunteer with Shelter Scotland
Have you had a bad housing experience? Tell us about your story.
Share your story of a bad housing experience