This section has information for Gypsies/Travellers on council sites, privately run sites and unauthorised sites, including access to pitches and your rights on site. It also looks at settled housing for Gypsies/Travellers and issues surrounding homelessness.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

About Gypsies/Travellers

Gypsies/Travellers are people who have a travelling existence, or are from a travelling background. This page explains about who they are and gives an overview of their housing issues.

Council sites for Gypsies/Travellers

Many councils in Scotland provide sites for Gypsies/Travellers to stay in. Check what these sites are like, how to apply for a pitch, and how to complain.

Private sites for Gypsies/Travellers

Your rights if you stay on a holiday or private site run by other Gypsies/Travellers. Also include details if you want to set up a site yourself, on your own land.

Unauthorised sites for Gypsies/Travellers

If you don't get a pitch in a council or private site, you're staying on an unauthorised site. Find out your rights if this is your situation.

Permanent housing for Gypsies/Travellers

Some Gypsies/Travellers live in permanent, settled housing. This may be for a variety of reasons. This page looks at what you can do to access permanent housing.

Gypsies/Travellers and homelessness

Gypsies/Travellers are entitled to help from the council if they have nowhere safe and permanent to live. This page looks at your rights.

Useful links for Gypsies/Travellers

This page contains links to information for Gypsies/Travellers provided by councils across Scotland, and also lists other useful agencies.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England