Housing if you have special requirements

Sometimes having a home of your own is not enough. If you think that you need help or adaptations so that you can stay in your home, or you're considering moving to a home where you can receive help or that is more suitable for your needs, this section will help you look at your options.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Community care assessments

Community care assessment will identify any help and support you need to make your life easier and keep you living in your home.

Housing support

Housing support is help that is provided to someone to manage on a day to day basis whilst they are living in their own home.

Care at home

If you are finding it difficult to manage at home, it is possible to get your home adapted so that it is suitable, so that you can stay in your home.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing gives older people the independence of their own flat with security of an alarm system and warden. Find out more about sheltered housing.

Care homes

Residential or nursing homes are also known as care homes. This page provides a brief guide if you are considering your care options.

Hostels and foyers

Hostels and foyers (young people accommodation) can offer support to people in need, find out more about help and support here.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England