Transfers and exchanges for council or housing association tenants

If you rent your home from a council or housing association and wish to move to a new place, there are several options open to you. These include applying for a transfer within your council's area, a move to a new area or a mutual exchange through Homeswapper.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Overview of moving if you're a council or housing association tenant

This page contains general information about the different schemes on offer to council and housing association tenants who need to move home.

Council and housing association transfers

If you want to move within your council's local area, you can apply for a transfer. If you rent from a housing association, you can ask to be transferred to another of that association's properties.

Council and housing association exchanges with Homeswapper

If you're a council or housing association tenant in Scotland, you may be able to swap your home with another tenant in Scotland, or in the rest of the UK.

Last updated: 2 May 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England