Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Moving house

Make a list of what to do when you move out of a rented home or temporary accommodation. If you need help with moving costs, you can apply for grants or loans.

Checklist for moving out

Before you move out of a rented home, make sure that you:

If your landlord or letting agent wants to inspect your home before you leave, tell them a time that suits you.

Before coming round they should give you at least 24 hours' notice. You have the right to 48 hours' notice if you have a private residential tenancy.

If you’re moving out of a private rented home

Check the inventory and ask for your deposit back.

Before you move out, get evidence of things that could affect your deposit. Take photos of things like:

  • cleaning you’ve done

  • items on the inventory

  • outstanding repairs that you've already reported

This helps you challenge your landlord or letting agent if they try to take money for cleaning or repairs.

Check our guidance on getting your deposit back.

If you’re moving out of temporary accommodation

If your belongings are in storage with the council, contact them and arrange to move things into your new home.

If you need white goods, carpets or furniture for your new home, apply for a community care grant. This can also help pay for the costs of moving.

Who to tell when you move house

Contact the following to say you are moving out, and get final bills from:

  • the electricity and gas company

  • telephone, broadband and TV companies

Update the following with your new address:

  • the council tax team at the council

  • banks and any insurance companies

  • the Department for Work and Pensions or the benefits team at the council, if you get any benefits

  • any schools, universities, colleges and places of work for you and your family

To get your mail forwarded from your old address, pay for a redirection with Royal Mail.

If you need help paying for a move

Apply for the following grants and loans if you need help with moving costs:

There may be an unavoidable overlap where you have to pay rent for both homes. If you get benefits, check if you can get benefits for 2 homes.

If you leave temporary accommodation, you might not get Housing Benefit for your new home. You might need to apply for Universal Credit instead.

Contact Citizens Advice to check what you’re entitled to and get help with applying.

If you need help moving

A removal firm can help if you cannot move your belongings by yourself.

To compare the prices of removal firms search the Really Moving website. You can also search for firms on sites like Gumtree.

Checklist when you move into your new home

When you move in, make sure safety checks have been done.

Your landlord must provide:

Check that doors and windows lock. You can change the locks on doors if you want to, but check with your landlord first. Keep the old locks and keys in case you need to refit them when you leave.

Make sure you know where the fuse box is, and any switches for turning off the water and gas supply. You may need to turn them off in an emergency.

If there are repair problems when you move in, report them immediately. Follow our guidance on:

You can also:

Check your inventory if you rent privately

Make sure all the items listed are in your home. Report to your landlord if anything is missing or not as described.

If your landlord does not give you an inventory, ask them to provide one, or write it up yourself and get them to sign it.

Check your energy suppliers

Your landlord should tell who the current energy suppliers are. If you need to check your address:

You should be able to change the energy supplier. Check Citizens Advice guidance on switching energy supplier if you’re a tenant.

If your new home does not meet your needs

Before moving into your home, make sure that it’s accessible and it meets your needs.

If you need to make changes before you move in, check our guidance on getting home adaptations done.

Last updated: 19 January 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England