The Tenant Grant Fund to help pay rent arrears

The Tenant Grant Fund is money that can be used to help pay rent arrears if you're at risk of eviction.

Find your council's website on and contact them to apply.

Get help with money

A money and debt adviser can help you apply for benefits, make a budget, manage debts, and negotiate affordable repayments. Get free advice now:

If you get the grant

The council should tell you how much of your arrears the grant will cover and pay it directly to your landlord. You do not have to pay the money back.

If the grant only covers some of the arrears, make an affordable repayment plan with your landlord to pay off the rest. Check our guidance on dealing with rent arrears.

Other help to pay rent

If you cannot afford your rent, take these steps:

  1. talk to your landlord to let them know you're dealing with the issue

  2. use a benefits calculator to check what you’re entitled to

  3. check if you can get Discretionary Housing Payment from the council

  4. use MoneyHelper's budgeting tool to manage your income and outgoings

If you're being evicted for rent arrears

Your landlord cannot just throw you out. They have to follow the correct eviction procedure.

Get help from an adviser if you're facing eviction.

The Tenant Hardship Loan Fund

The Tenant Hardship Loan was a different fund to clear rent arrears. It closed to new applications on 31 December 2021.

If you received the loan and you're struggling to pay it back, get money and debt advice to help manage your payments.

Last updated: 29 September 2022

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England