Help with rent arrears

If you have rent arrears, your landlord could take legal action to have you evicted from your home. This section looks at different ways to get help to pay your rent arrears and avoid eviction.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Dealing with rent arrears

It is important to act quickly if you have rent arrears, to prevent your rent arrears getting bigger and to avoid your landlord trying to evict you. This page tells you what to do if you have rent arrears.

Negotiating a rent reduction during the coronavirus outbreak

If you can't afford your rent you should contact your landlord to try and negotiate a reduction. Use our template tool to help you write a letter.

Debt Arrangement Scheme and rent arrears

To help pay off your rent arrears you might be able to apply for a debt payment programme under the Debt Arrangement Scheme. Find out about the Debt Arrangement Scheme here.

Deductions from benefits

If you get income support, JSA, employment and support allowance or pension credit and you have rent arrears, payments towards your arrears can be deducted directly from your benefit.

Rent arrears and housing benefit not being paid in time

Problems with your claim for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit can lead to rent arrears. Find out what you can do if you are in this situation.

Eviction because of rent arrears

If you don't make sufficient payments towards your rent arrears, your landlord can try to evict you.They must follow legal procedures,which are dependant on your tenancy type.

Tenant Hardship Loan Fund

Find out if you can apply for help from the Tenant Hardship Loan Fund. The loan is available for private tenants and social housing tenants and the loan is interest-free. This loan is directed towards people who have had their finances impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and do not have other means of support.

Last updated: 27 July 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England