Repairs and bad conditions

Find out how to get repairs carried out in rented and owner-occupied housing and how to improve your accommodation if it's unsuitable for your needs. This section also looks at health and safety issues along with any grants and loans that may be available to help you pay for repairs.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Repairs if you rent from the council, a housing association or housing co-op

Find out your rights if you are a tenant and your home needs repairs. Also explains who has responsibility and what you can do if your landlord doesn't carry out repairs they are responsible for.

Repairs in private rented accommodation

Your rights if you are a private tenant and your home needs repairing. Find out who has responsibility and what you can do if your landlord refuses to carry out repairs.

Taking Legal Action Against Your Landlord for Repairs

If your landlord refuses to carry out essential repairs, it may be possible to take legal action in the Sheriff Court. This section explains who should consider court action, and how court action may help.

Repairs if you own your home

If you own your home, you are responsible for maintaining it and carrying out any repair work. How you can keep your home in good condition and what to do if repair work is required.

Repairs and maintenance in common areas

If you're a homeowner and you live in a flat, you and your neighbours can work together to keep your building well maintained. What you should do if repair work needs to be carried out to common areas.

Adapting your home for a disability

Your home may not be suitable if you can't get around or use all the facilities. You may be able to get adaptations done to solve this problem - grants may be available.

Repairs and improvements for agricultural tenants

Your rights to get repairs done and to carry out improvements if you have an agricultural, limited duration or short limited duration tenancy. Both you and your landlord have responsibilities. Also highlights some Grants that are available for Agricultural Tenants

Grants to help to pay for repairs, improvements and adaptations

If you need to carry out repair, improvement or adaptation work to your home, you may be able to get a grant or other help from the council. It might be practical help or advice, or financial help such as a grant to repair or replace your boiler.

Home safety - How to keep your home safe

How to keep your home safe. Includes fire, gas and electricity safety, and advice on preventing accidents and what to do in an emergency. It also looks at preventing crime and security tips.

Other housing problems

This section looks at housing problems which make your home unsuitable to live in. It looks at what to do if your it's overcrowded, how to deal with pests such as mice or flies and what to do if your home is flooded.

Scottish Building Regulations and Planning Permission

If you carry out repairs or improvements, you may need a building warrant and/or planning permission. It's best to check with the council's building standards department and planning authority first.

What are compulsory purchase orders?

The council, Scottish Government or a utility company may want to buy your home to build a road, or because your home needs to be demolished. They need a compulsory purchase order.

Last updated: 9 August 2016

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England