Renting rights

If you rent your home you will probably have a tenancy. There are several different kinds of tenancy, and your rights will depend on which kind you have. In this section you can find out which tenancy you have and what rights this gives you.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Renters rights

In this section you can find out what kind of tenancy you have, read an overview of your renter rights and download a tenancy agreement template.

Council, housing association and housing co-op tenancies

Your rights if you rent from the council, a registered social landlord. Housing associations and housing cooperatives are both RSLs. Plus your rights if you're in temporary accommodation.

Renting from a private landlord

Find out your rights if you rent your home from from a private landlord or letting agency.

Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

For people in shared flats, lodgings, shared houses, hostels and bed & breakfast accommodation. Many of these are houses in multiple occupation or HMOs.

Common law / Non Assured tenancies

Common law tenancies sometimes known as Non-assured tenancies are not regulated by specific laws. Your rights depend mainly on your tenancy agreement. Check who has common law tenancy rights and what those rights are.

Sharing with your landlord

People who share accommodation with their landlord have different rights to those who rent separate property. This page explains who has a resident landlord and what your rights are if you share with your landlord.

Subtenant Rights

You will be a subtenant if you rent from a tenant who is renting the property from a landlord. This page explains your rights if you are a subtenant.

Your rights in student accommodation

Find out your rights if you live in housing owned by a university or college. If you are disabled, these pages look at your right to university or college accommodation suitable for your needs.

Rights and care standards in supported accommodation

Your rights in supported accommodation will depend on the type of accommodation and the support you receive. Find out more on supported accommodation here.

Tied accommodation

If your home is 'tied', that is, provided as part of your job, your rights to stay there will depend on the kind of agreement you have with your employer/landlord.

Your rights if you live in a mobile home

This section explains your rights if you own or rent a mobile home such as a caravan or park home, or you rent a pitch to station it on.

Agricultural tenancies

If you rent agricultural land such as a farm or smallholding then you may have an agricultural tenancy. There are three kinds so see what this means for your housing rights.

Crofters' rights and responsibilities

Crofting tenants have secure rights to stay on their land, but they also have a responsibility to use the land well. This section explains more.

Housing Association shared ownership rights

Shared ownership schemes allow you to buy a share in a housing association property and pay a reduced 'rent', called an occupancy payment. See what you should ask about if you are interested.

Disabled people's rights in rented accommodation

If you have disabilities, you will have extra rights to help you deal with landlords and letting agents. See what your rights are and what to do if you feel your landlord is discriminating against you.

Taking in a lodger or subletting your home

If you take in a lodger or sublet all or part of your home, there are some things you need to consider. Learn about your rights and your tenant’s rights.

Ending a tenancy

If you want to move out of your rented accommodation, it's important that you go through the correct process and give your landlord the correct notice. Whatever you do, don't just walk away!

Landlord registration

Landlord registration ensures landlords are suitable people to let out property. How the registration process works and what the register means for tenants.

Last updated: 16 January 2020

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England