Your rights if you live in a mobile home

You might also find our eviction from mobile homes information useful.

This section explains your rights if you own or rent a mobile home, or rent a pitch for it. Mobile homes can vary greatly - for example you might live in a caravan, motorhome, prefabricated bungalow, or park home.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

About mobile homes and sites

If you live in a mobile home, your tenancy rights depend on if your property meets the legal definition of a mobile home, and if you live on a protected site.

I rent my mobile home - what kind of tenancy do I have?

This page helps you work out what kind of tenancy you have if you rent your mobile home. Your rights depend on the kind of tenancy you have.

Common law rights for mobile home tenants and owners

If you rent a mobile home or you rent a pitch for a mobile home that you own, you will have certain rights under common law.

Renting a pitch

Unless you have your own land, you will need to rent a pitch on a site to station your mobile home. Your rights depend on whether you rent a pitch on a protected site or an unprotected site.

Responsibilities of mobile home owners and occupiers

As the owner or tenant of a mobile home, you have certain responsibilities as well as rights.

Problems living on site

This section looks at common problems on a mobile home site, including what to do if you aren't happy with conditions or the supply of services and how to deal with harassment.

Mobile homes and housing benefit

This page discusses how mobile homes are treated in relation to housing benefit.

Mobile homes and council tax

If you live in a mobile home, you will still be liable to pay council tax.

Owning a mobile home

Most people who own their mobile homes still need to rent a pitch for it. If you own a mobile home on a rented pitch, your rights are determined by the law and your agreement with the site owner.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England