Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Temporary accommodation once the council has made its decision

When you make a homeless application to the council, you will be provided with somewhere to stay while the council carries out its inquiries into your situation. If you do not pass all the homelessness tests, you should be allowed to continue to stay in this accommodation, to give you an opportunity to find somewhere else to live. This page discusses the council's duties to provide temporary accommodation once it has finished its inquiries and made a decision on your case. 

Can I stay in my temporary accommodation if I am intentionally homeless?

You should be allowed to continue to stay in your temporary accommodation long enough to give you a reasonable opportunity to find somewhere to stay.

How long can I stay for?

When deciding how long you can continue to stay in temporary accommodation, the council should take into account your circumstances (for example, the size of your family or whether you have any special needs) and the availability of accommodation in your area. You might find our pages on Finding accommodation and Crisis' private rent access schemes search helpful.

Other help should the council give me

The council must you give you advice and assistance to find a new home. For example, it may help you put your name down on the housing waiting list, or may give you advice and information on supported accommodation, private rented accommodation or how to go about buying your own home.

If the council helps you find a new home (for example, through the housing waiting list) and you then turn it down, it will probably ask you to leave your temporary accommodation.

I don't have a local connection

If the council finds you don't have a local connection and refers you to another council where you do, you can stay in your temporary accommodation until the new council can move you to its own temporary accommodation.

I'm entitled to permanent housing

If the council decides that it has a duty to offer you a permanent home, you can remain in temporary accommodation until a suitable offer is made.

What if I'm asked to leave my accommodation?

If the council asks you to leave your temporary accommodation and you feel you have not been given enough time to find a new home, get advice. An adviser can tell you your rights and may be able to get you more time.

The page on eviction from temporary accommodation explains your rights if you are asked to leave your accommodation.

The page about temporary accommodation has more general information, including:

  • what temporary accommodation is like
  • what you can do if you're not happy with your accommodation
  • what happens if any problems arise.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

Are you homeless or at risk of becoming homeless?

I need help

The important points

  • If you are intentionally homeless, you should have enough time in temporary accommodation to give you a reasonable opportunity to find somewhere to live.
  • If you don't have a local connection, then you will stay in the temporary accommodation until you have been referred to another council and they have temporary accommodation ready for you.
  • If you have a full duty owed to you, then you can stay in the temporary accommodation until a suitable offer of permanent accommodation has been offered.
  • If you are being asked to leave, check the page on eviction from temporary accommodation.

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us