Skip to main content

Money matters

This page looks at financial issues affecting disabled people, including benefits, paying for care and support, paying for repairs and adaptations and council tax.

Claiming benefits

There is a wide range of benefits you may be entitled to claim, including housing benefit to help with the cost of rent. Some benefits depend on how disabled you are and how much care and assistance you need, others are means tested, so depend on how much money you have.

The benefits system can be complicated, so it's a good idea to talk to an adviser at a Citizens Advice Bureau or disability information centre - they will be able to help you work out what you can apply for and help you with the claims process.

Paying for care and support

The social work department will decide how much you'll need to pay towards any housing support or care services you receive at home. Some care services are free, depending on your situation. You may be able to get self-directed support (direct payments), so you can arrange and pay for services yourself, and if you are severely disabled, you may be able to apply to the independent living fund.

Paying for repairs or adaptations

You may be entitled to a grant from the council to help pay for adaptations to your home. In addition, you may be able to get financial assistance from social work or your council's care and repair service. The page on help to pay for repairs has more information.

Getting a council tax discount

If you have a disability and your home is specially designed or adapted to meet your needs, or you need to have an extra room, you may be able to get a discount on your council tax.

Help to pay for heating

Heating your home during winter can be expensive, but there are ways of reducing your bills. If you are disabled, you may be able to get some financial help with your gas and electricity bills.

Paying for residential care

If you need to move into a care home, you may be able to get help from the council to pay for the various costs involved. This will depend on your age, your income and savings, and how much care you need.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.

The fight isn't over - support us this summer

far from fixed campaign logo
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today. Join our campaign
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today.
Find out more about volunteering with Shelter Scotland
Volunteer with Shelter Scotland
Have you had a bad housing experience? Tell us about your story.
Share your story of a bad housing experience