Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Paying rent

Whether you're a council, housing association or housing co-operative tenant or a private tenant, you pay rent in return for living in your home. This section looks at how rent is paid and what you can do if your rent goes up or you can't afford to pay your rent.

If you are on benefits or a low income, you may be entitled to housing benefit to help you pay your rent.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us