Making complaints

If you've been treated badly by a public body or organisation, or you're not happy with the service you've received from your solicitor, an advice agency or your local council for example, you can make a formal complaint. This section explains how to go about it.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Complaining to your local council

What you can complain to your council about, and how to go about it. General tips and things to think about so that you're more prepared when you do complain.

Complaining about a private landlord

This page gives some advice on complaining to or about a private landlord if you have a problem. It also looks at how to complain about a landlord renting out private property in your neighbourhood.

Complaining about a housing association or cooperative

This page gives you some tips and advice on complaining about a housing association or housing cooperative (also known as registered social landlords or RSLs).

Complaining about a letting agency

This page explains how to complain about a letting agent and to escalate a dispute if complaining does not resolve the matter.

Complaining about an estate agent

Get tips if you want to complain about an estate agent. You should complain to the agency first, but if you're not happy with the response, you may be able to take the matter further.

Complaining about a mortgage lender or broker

If you think you have been treated unfairly by a mortgage broker or lender, you may want to make a complaint.

Complaining about an advice agency

This page has information about what you can do if you need to complain about an advice agency.

Complaining about a solicitor

There are certain procedures you should follow if you want to complain about your solicitor. This page explains more.

Complaining about an Advocate

If an advocate has been representing you in a legal case and you want to complain about them, there are certain procedures you'll have to follow.

Scottish Legal Complaints Commission

The Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (SLCC) should provide a straightforward way to complain about the service provided by lawyers in Scotland.

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

If you made a complaint to an organisation that provides a public service and you're not happy with the response, you may be able to go to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO).

Contacting a councillor, MSP, MP or MEP

If you're not happy with something that's happened to you, you might be able to get a politician to agree with what you're saying and speak on your behalf.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England