Eviction from an agricultural tenancy

This section looks at your rights if you have a 1991 Act, limited duration or short limited duration agricultural tenancy and your landlord has asked you to leave. Your rights will depend on the kind of tenancy you have and what stage your lease is at when you are asked to leave.

If you are threatened with eviction from your tenancy, get in touch with a solicitor who specialises in agricultural law - use the Law Society of Scotland website to find one in your area. If you're a member of the National Farmers Union Scotland (NFUS) you can also call their free legal helpline for advice. Visit the NFUS website to find out more.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Eviction from a 1991 Act agricultural tenancy

Tenants of 1991 Act agricultural tenancies can be evicted at the end of their lease, or before the lease ends if they breach certain conditions. Find out your rights and how you can stop an eviction.

Eviction from limited duration and short limited duration tenancies

Tenants who have limited duration or short limited duration agricultural tenancies can only be evicted in certain circumstances. Find out your rights and how to prevent an eviction.

Compensation for agricultural tenants

Tenants leaving agricultural tenancies should receive compensation for any improvements. If you let the property deteriorate you may need to pay your landlord.

Last updated: 9 April 2018

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Get homeless help from the council

The council must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Get emergency help from the council