Eviction if you have another type of tenancy

Read this page if you are a subtenant, or if you live in university owned accommodation, tied accommodation, a hostel or refuge, supported accommodation or with friends or relatives.

How easily your landlord can evict you depends on the kind of tenancy you have. If you're not sure what tenancy you have, use the online tenancy checker.

Eviction if you live in university owned accommodation

If you are a student living in university owned accommodation, for example a halls or residence, you will have the same rights as a common law tenant. The page on student accommodation explains your rights.

Eviction if you are a subtenant

You will be a subtenant if you rent your home from another tenant who does not live in the property with you:

  • If you are a subtenant of a private tenant, you will probably have either a private residential tenancy, or an assured or short assured tenancy if you moved in before 1 December 2017. Check out the pages on eviction by a private landlord to find out your rights.

  • If you are a subtenant of a council, housing association or housing co-op tenant, you will have the same rights as a common law tenant. Read the page on eviction of common law tenants to find out your rights.

  • The page on subtenants' rights explains what you can do if the tenant you are renting from loses their tenancy.

Eviction if you live in tied accommodation

If you live in tied accommodation, where your home is provided as part of your job, you will probably face eviction if you leave or lose your job.

Eviction if you live in temporary accommodation

If you make a homeless application to the council, you will be offered temporary accommodation if you have nowhere else to stay. Read the page on eviction from temporary accommodation to find out your rights if the council asks you to leave.

Eviction if you live in supported accommodation

If you are staying or living in supported accommodation (for example, sheltered housing, a care home or a rehabilitation centre), your rights will depend on the kind of accommodation you are staying in and who provides it. 

Eviction if you are a hostel or refuge dweller or with friends or family

You will probably be a non-tenant occupier if you live:

  • in a hostel or refuge, or

  • a hotel, or

  • with friends or relatives and are not paying any rent.

This means you have very few rights if the person providing your accommodation wants to evict you. The page on non-tenant occupiers explains your rights.

Eviction from a shared ownership property

If you have bought your home through a shared ownership scheme, this means that you own part of your home and pay rent to a housing association for the other part. Because you own a share of the property, the housing association cannot evict you. However, if you can't keep up with your mortgage payments, your mortgage lender may be able to repossess the property. The page on shared ownership rights explains this in more detail.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Last updated: 9 April 2018

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Get homeless help from the council

The council must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Get emergency help from the council