Money matters

This page looks at financial issues affecting disabled people, including benefits, paying for care and support, paying for repairs and adaptations and council tax.

Claiming benefits

There is a wide range of benefits you may be entitled to claim, including Universal Credit and help to pay your rent. Some benefits depend on how disabled you are and how much care and assistance you need, others are means tested, so depend on how much money you have.

The benefits system can be complicated, so it's a good idea to talk to an adviser at a Citizens Advice Bureau or disability information centre - they will be able to help you work out what you can apply for and help you with the claims process.

Check if you're entitled to benefits

Use the Turn2us benefit calculator

You’ll need information on your household’s:

  • income and savings

  • outgoings, such as rent

  • existing benefits and pensions

  • council tax bill

Get help managing your money

Services that can help with budgeting, applying for benefits, and debt:

Paying for care and support

The social work department will decide how much you'll need to pay towards any housing support or care services you receive at home. Some self-directed support (direct payments), so you can arrange and pay for services yourself, and if you are severely disabled, you may be able to apply to the independent living fund.

Paying for repairs or adaptations

You may be entitled to a grant from the council to help pay for adaptations to your home. In addition, you may be able to get financial assistance from social work or your council's care and repair service. The page on help to pay for repairs has more information.

Getting a council tax discount

If you have a disability and your home is specially designed or adapted to meet your needs, or you need to have an extra room, you may be able to get a discount on your council tax.

Help to pay for heating

Heating your home during winter can be expensive, but there are ways of reducing your bills. If you are disabled, you may be able to get some financial help with your gas and electricity bills.

Paying for residential care

If you need to move into a care home, you may be able to get help from the council to pay for the various costs involved. This will depend on your age, your income and savings, and how much care you need.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Last updated: 26 January 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England