Other benefits, grants and loans

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to claim benefits to help increase your income. This section has more information about benefits, and about grants and loans that may be available for specific housing costs. It also looks at financial help for students, parents, care leavers, disabled people and young people, and getting help to pay for heating.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Other benefits

Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to claim other benefits. For example if you have a disability or are a parent you might find this page helpful.

Community care grants

Community care grants are designed to help people on income support, jobseeker's allowance or pension credit who need extra financial help to live independently.

What is a budgeting loan?

A budgeting loan can help you spread the cost of essential items over a more manageable period. You may be eligible for a loan if you are claiming income support, jobseeker's allowance or pension credit.

About benefits

Find out the basics about benefits and tax credits. Where to get help completing benefits and tax credits application forms.

Tips when applying for benefits

Whatever kind of benefit you're applying for, always make sure you follow these tips.

Job seeker's allowance

If you are unemployed, you can claim Jobseeker's Allowance. Read this page to find out more about Jobseeker's Allowance.

Income support

Income support is to ensure that no-one's income is below a minimum amount. Find out more about who is eligible to apply for income support.

Pension credit

Pension credit is intended to make sure that no one over the age of 60 has to live below a minimum income level.

Tax credits in Scotland

If you are over 16 and on a low income in Scotland, you can apply for tax credits, which are paid by the Inland Revenue.

Crisis grants

Apply for a crisis grant to your jobcentre plus to cover the cost of essential items, for example living expenses while you wait for benefits.

Last updated: 13 October 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England