Paying rent

Whether you're a council, housing association or housing co-operative tenant or a private tenant, you pay rent in return for living in your home. This section looks at how rent is paid and what you can do if your rent goes up or you can't afford to pay your rent.

If you are on benefits or a low income, you may be entitled to housing benefit to help you pay your rent.

What is rent and what does it include?

Rent is money you pay to your landlord in return for living in your home. It can include bills and Find out more about what is included in rent and other household bills here.

Rent increases

When and how your rent can be increased and what you can do if you disagree with rent increases.Your tenancy agreement may say when your landlord plans to increase your rent.

Rent and the Housing and Property Chamber

Want to challenge a rent increase - you can apply to the Housing and Property Chamber if you're renting privately from a landlord or letting agent in Scotland.

Withholding rent

Find out about withholding rent from your landlord.If you are considering withholding rent you should know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.Withholding rent can put you at risk of eviction.

Last updated: 6 February 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England