Scottish housing advice: coronavirus (COVID-19)

Claiming benefits

Already claiming benefits

If you already receive benefits and your income changes:

  • Report any changes in your journal if you get Universal Credit

  • Update your council if you get Housing Benefit

Find your local council.

This will make sure you get what you’re entitled to as quickly as possible.

You should also let your landlord know if you’re struggling to pay rent and discuss possible options with them.

See the page Dealing with rent arrears for more information.

How to claim universal credit or other benefits

You can get help with your rent if you are on a low wage and your employer reduces your hours, if you lose your job or if you are self isolating.

You might be entitled to universal credit. Make your claim as soon as you can.

You can get an advance if you need rent money before your first universal credit payment.

Find out more about applying for universal credit.

If you can’t use a computer, you can apply online using a smartphone. A friend or family member may be able to help. 

You can also set up a claim over the phone if you can’t use a computer. Call the universal credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.

How to check if you're entitled to benefits

Turn to Us has an online benefit calculator. You can use this to check if you are entitled to any extra money. It can be useful to have information with you about any money you have coming into your household already and what your monthly rent payments are before you use this tool.

Citizens Advice Scotland and Money Advice Scotland can provide money advice and welfare benefit checks and other financial support information.

Scotland’s Financial Health Service Advice offers lots of useful information about money and finances and has helpful links to services by council area.

Last updated: 2 February 2021

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England