Setting up a cooperative

A cooperative might be set up through negotiation with a local authority.

Local authority tenants may wish to negotiate with their landlord to be allowed to take on some housing management functions, for example in a particular housing estate. Local authorities are not obliged to enter into agreements to set up a tenant management co-operative. They may be reluctant to enter into such a long-term agreement while options for stock transfer are being considered.

Likewise, ongoing considerations and plans for stock transfer may make it difficult for new housing co-operatives to be set up and to bid for local authority housing, particularly if there is a fairly tight time scale for stock transfer.

This content applies to Scotland

Last updated: 29 December 2014